Rajasthan-based Shri Rajput Karni Sena, a Rajput caste organisation founded in 2006, is on the warpath with the makers and actors of upcoming Bollywood movie Padmavati. The controversy over Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Padmavati, starring Deepika Padukone, refuses to die down after a local fringe group has announced an award of Rs 1 crore to anyone burning Padukone alive.
Haryana BJP member Suraj Pal Amu also vowed to “reward” the ones beheading Bhansali and Padukone with “Rs 10 Crore” whilst also taking care of their “family’s needs”.
Karni Sena chief Lokendera Singh Kalvi has threatened Deepika Padukone of physical harm, threatening to chop off Deepika’s nose as she continues to defend the film.
Opponents of the movie suspect that the movie has distorted history and there has been speculation that it contains a dream sequence featuring Rani Padmini (Deepika Padukone) and the Alauddin Khilji (Ranveer Singh). Bhansali has denied this – twice.
Countless protests, insults, threats and actual physical attacks finally led to movie release date to be postponed.
However, what remains a worrying fact is that it is extremely easy in the country to issue threats and bounty to physically harm a person, and get away with it easily. While a fringe section was busy threatening to physically harm a woman, a number of women were raped, molested and killed by people who share the same mindset as that of the ones giving threats, thinking that it is perfectly OK to cause damage and inflict hostile action in retribution for something done or not done.
In the past three weeks, since the Padmavati controversy is making headlines, a number of incidents took place, where women once again were subjected to physical harm.
Take a look:
1) 21 YO Chandigarh Girl Gangraped By Auto Driver & 2 Others, Victim Gave Him Money To Fill Gas
2) 10-YO Girl Repeatedly Raped For Three Months By 65-YO Watchman And His Friends In Bhopal
3) Journalist And Another Woman Molested At Delhi’s ITO Metro Station, Accused Tea Vendor Nabbed
4) Woman Denied Job At Delhi Orphanage Because She Is ‘Muslim & Wears Hijab’
5) Woman, Daughter Jump Off Moving Train Near Kanpur To Escape Molestation By A Group Of Men
6) Andhra University Sanskrit Professor Sexually Harasses Girls, Get Thrashed By Students
7) Mother At 10, Repeatedly Raped By Maternal Uncles: A Sickening Account Of Assault
8) 19-YO Daughter Of A Policeman Gangraped For 3 Hours In Bhopal, Cops Refuse To File Complaint
9) 100-YO Old Woman In UP Dies After Being Raped, Accused Claims He Is Innocent